Frequently Asked Questions

It’s natural to have questions when you’re contemplating a change like moving home. Below are answers to some of the more common questions we’re asked – if you want to know more, please call us.

General FAQs

Occupation Right Agreement - Explained

Sales Process

Legal Documents

How old must I be to live in Wanaka Retirement Village?

You need to be 65 years or over (or your partner does if you share the villa or apartment with them).

What extra services are available?

You can arrange for cleaning, housekeeping and personal services in your own home, either privately or through an assessment by a health professional.  Window cleaning, gardening and most social activities are provided by us.

Who manages the village?

The village is managed by Kim Tilly, who is also the manager for Elmslie House.

Will my independence and privacy be respected?

Absolutely! You are free to do virtually whatever you please, and the village has been designed to provide you with as much privacy as possible. It’s completely up to you how much you interact with the other residents.

What happens if I want to go on holiday?

All we ask is that you let the Manager know so that she doesn’t worry if you are not seen around the Village.

What happens if I need urgent assistance?

An emergency call service is monitored 24 hours a day, seven days a week, except in the original three cottages.

Can I move into a PSO care home if my health deteriorates? 

Yes, subject to availability and if you are assessed* as needing a higher level of care. You
can move into Elmslie house (for rest home level care) or Aspiring Enliven (for hospital and
dementia level care). 
(*Assessed by Te Whatu Ora Health New Zealand’s Needs Assessment Service
Coordination (NASC) to identify your need level.)

Can I bring my pet with me?

Because we recognise the important role pets play in your life, we are open to you bringing a pet with you, but this does need to be approved prior to arrival. We look at each request on a case-by-case basis, however, if your pet disturbs other residents or causes damage to your home or the village, it will not be allowed to stay. Please talk to the Village Manager about your pet before you arrive.

Can I have family and friends to stay?

Yes, this is your home. Your family and friends are very welcome to stay with you for periods of up to three weeks at any one time. Advise the Manager so she can expect to see new faces around the Village.

Can I change the decor in my home?

Everyone likes their home to reflect their personality, however, you should talk with the Manager first and accept that when you vacate your home you may be required to restore it to its original condition.

Do I own the villa or apartment?

When you ‘buy’ a home in any retirement village, you are actually buying an Occupation Right Agreement (ORA). This gives you the right to occupy your home for your lifetime or for as long as you choose, but the title to the land and buildings remains with the village owner.

The ORA includes all the terms and conditions of the occupancy of your home in Wanaka Retirement Village. More details on the ORA

What if I can’t afford the licence to occupy?

We are happy to discuss flexible purchase arrangements with you.

What if I change my mind once I’ve signed the agreement?

There is a 15-day ‘cooling off’ period from the time you sign the ORA. This means you can cancel the agreement without penalty or the need to give a reason, so long as you do so within 15 working days of signing it.

The deposit you paid will then be returned to you with interest. Note, however, that your solicitor may still charge you a fee for the services they provided.

What is the weekly fee?

The weekly ‘Village Outgoings’ is your contribution towards costs such as gardening, general maintenance, rates, insurance and the cost of routine services provided by the Statutory Supervisor.

This fee, charged monthly in advance, is reviewed annually. It continues if you have moved out but the new ORA hasn’t yet been sold; reducing to 50% after six months.

Who pays the insurance and rates?

Wanaka Retirement Village pays for your apartment or villa insurances and rates. The cost of these outgoings is proportionally included in Village Outgoings. You are responsible for insuring your household contents and your personal effects.

Can I rent out my home?

No. The villa or apartment is solely for use of the persons named as the occupants.

What are my rights?

The ORA lists your rights. Of course, you also have the right to be treated with courtesy and respect, and you should complain if you are not. Both Wanaka Retirement Village Ltd and its residents have obligations under the Code of Residents’ Rights in this respect.

If you have any concerns or complaints, we will do our best to resolve them with you informally, however there is also a formal complaints procedure. If satisfaction cannot be achieved through that complaints process within 20 working days, the matter can be escalated by lodging a Disputes Notice under the Retirement Villages Act 2003.

What is a Statutory Supervisor?

It is an independent professional organisation (or person) approved by the Registrar of Retirement Villages, providing Occupation Right owners significant protection of their investment in Wanaka Retirement Village.

Statutory Supervisors are often a contact point and voice for residents, receiving and investigating complaints, conducting Village annual general meetings and other relevant meetings.

PSO Retirement Villages Limited’s Statutory Supervisor Service is provided by Covenant Trustee Services Ltd, PO Box 4243, Shortland Street, Auckland 1015.

What happens if I want to leave the village?

Your ORA is terminated and a new one for your home is then sold on the open market to a new resident. You will receive your entry payment less the Deferred Management Fee, any money due and any costs incurred in finding a new resident.

The Deferred Management Fee is a contribution towards costs such as roads, drainage, street lighting, maintenance of communal infrastructure, Village management and services. Specific details are in the ORA and are also summarised in our information brochure.

Can a family trust own an ORA?

An ORA can only be issued in the names of the residents occupying the villa or apartment, although the funds used to acquire an ORA may be paid from a Family Trust. Any termination proceeds can also be paid to a Family Trust when you leave. You should discuss this with your solicitor.

Can I bequeath my ORA to a family member?

The ORA is not transferable and automatically terminates when you leave the village or pass away.

What happens to my home in a disaster?

Firstly, we will provide alternative accommodation for you if your home is not fit to live in. We have full replacement insurance for the buildings and infrastructure so will repair or replace your home to a design and standard equal or similar to that prior to the damage or destruction.

If your ORA is terminated because an event means the Village can no longer operate, then you will receive the full amount you paid for that ORA. No deduction will be made for the Deferred Management Fee.